Names: Lacy
IDs: 3123
Sexes: Spayed Female
Ages: 2 yr.
General Health: Good. HW+
Availability: Not a candidate for transport at this time
Sponsors: Sherry Carmack, Susan Malley, Kam McHugh, Margo Nathan, Nancy Nicholson, Susan Redfield, Abby Semelin, Linda Smith, Kate Sorenson, Barbara Winchell , Candace George
Sponsor Me

My Reports

Intake Report

Two women who were evicted from their house in Jackson, Tenn., and loaded all of their belongings as well as almost 30 animals into the back of two U-Hauls and drove to Memphis. The story is they had housing in Memphis but once they got here it had fallen through. They didn’t know what else to do with the animals, so they drove to Memphis Animal Shelter (MAS) and surrendered them. When they arrived at the shelter and the shelter staff realized the condition the animals were in, they called the police, and one of the women was arrested.

We received a phone call from MAS asking if we could help with the Golden mix and her only surviving puppy. Her other two puppies died on the ride from Jackson. The Intake Team scrambled to get information and went by the shelter to figure out the condition of the mom and the remaining pup. Because the remaining pup was struggling to nurse and seemed weak, we had to make a quick decision to get them to our clinic.

With help from the MAS staff, we loaded the two in a van and took them immediately to our vet to examine. They were both covered in hundreds of fleas — I don’t think I’ve ever seen so many fleas on a dog. The mother was vaccinated at the shelter and given a Nexguard. The puppy was given a Capstar flea killer, sub-Q fluids, and Karo syrup to encourage him to nurse. The fleas were dying, but there were just hundreds still crawling all over both dogs.

When we arrived at our clinic, two doctors and several techs helped to get them inside and began checking them out. Our doctor said we would just have to watch and see how the next 24 to 36 hours went because we don’t know 100 percent whether the other puppies were sick or just died from the heat — there was no real way of knowing how Loch would do. With a great deal of encouragement and work from several folks,  Loch did nurse while we were at the clinic, but he was struggling to find the nipple and was not very strong in his nursing.

One of our fantastic board members took them into her home to give them a place to be for a few days. We got them to her and settled into her laundry room away from her other dogs for peace and quiet after their long and grueling day. She spent the rest of her evening checking on them every couple of hours to make sure that Loch was nursing.

Lacy was pretty stressed, would shiver or shrink back from any petting but was very trusting and allowed us to handle her and the puppy. She’s an attentive mother and is very interested anytime you are handling him but allows you to do whatever is necessary for him.

After we figure out that Loch is out of the woods, we’ll be able to give him the care he needs, as well as treat Lacy for the heart worms and get her spayed after he’s weaned.

Lacey weighed 40 pounds. Loch weighed 1.43 pounds. His eyes are still closed, and even though the family that surrendered him said he was a week old, I’m guessing he is less than that. Our doctor said overall his body condition was in pretty good shape, and he didn’t seem too thin.

I can only imagine how hot the ride was, from Jackson to Memphis in the back of that U-Haul with all those other animals. My heart hurts for the two little ones who didn’t make it but I’m so grateful that we were able to help Lacy and Loch begin new lives with families who will love them the way they should be.

MAS is pursuing a cruelty case against the two women.

Watch My Video