Because your dog is special to you, you want him to share all the special times in your life, including holidays. But to your dog, every day spent with you is a holiday, and he may not be able to appreciate or understand the strange people, noises, things and goings-on associated with holiday celebrations. Here are some ways to keep your dog safe and happy during this festive time.
- Holly, mistletoe and poinsettia plants are poisonous to dogs. Make sure they are kept in places your dog cannot reach.
- Do not put lights on the lower branches of your tree. They may get very hot and burn your dog.
- Watch out for electrical cords. Pets often try to chew them and get badly shocked or electrocuted. Place them out of reach.
- Avoid glass ornaments, which break easily and may cut a dog’s feet or mouth.
- Do not use edible ornaments, or cranberry or popcorn strings. Your dog may knock the tree over in an attempt to reach them.
- Keep other ornaments off the lower branches; if your dog chews or eats an ornament, he can be made sick by the materials or paint.
- Both live and artificial tree needles are sharp and indigestible. Keep your tree blocked off (with a playpen or other “fence”) or in a room that is not accessible to your dog.
- Tinsel can be dangerous for dogs. It may obstruct circulation and, if swallowed, block the intestines.
- Keep burning candles on high tables or mantels, out of the way of your dog’s wagging tail.
- Review canine holiday gifts for safety. Small plastic toys or bones may pose choking hazards.
- Your dog may want to investigate wrapped packages; keep them out of reach.
© Copyright 2014 Dirks Fund Golden Retriever Rescue, Inc. Used by Permission.