- Before you begin the adoption process, decide if your family and lifestyle are suitable for a Golden Retriever. The Golden Retriever is a breed that requires constant attention, care, and maintenance. If your family has a hectic schedule, chances are, a golden is not the right dog for you. We encourage you to read everything on our website and make sure you are fully committed to becoming a pet owner. Please visit our “About the Golden Retriever” page to learn more about the specifics of the breed.
- First read the “Eligibility” page. This will inform you of certain restrictions for adoption which may apply to you.
- Carefully read the ”Terms and Conditions“.
- If you read ”Guidelines to Apply” this will explain the procedure and also answer most questions.
- The next step in our process is to fill out an online application. As of March 1, 2014, all applicants must pay a $10 non-refundable application processing fee. Although our adoption process may seem intimidating at first, it is well worth the time in order to adopt a MAGRR Golden Retriever.
- Upon receipt of your application, our application review committee will review your application. This process is usually lengthy so please be patient with us. MAGRR is an all-volunteer organization. To apply, you must have access to a computer and email. Before the telephone interview, most communication is completed via email. Please advise your veterinarian that a MAGRR representative will be calling.
- After review, the application will be sent to a telephone interview committee member. This member will schedule an appropriate time to call and discuss adoption information with you. Many applicants have found this to be very helpful and a great contribution to not only learning more about our processes but also for the applicants to find out about tips and tricks of owning a golden.
- The last step prior to approval is a home visit. Once your application has been sent for a home visit, you will be notified via email. Please have all family members present including any current family pets. The home visit will submit a report to our application committee.
- Once approved you will receive an email informing you of the results of your home visit. Your application is passed along to our adoption coordinator. She will begin looking for a Golden that fits your family based on all of the information acquired during the application process. Please be patient as she has lots of calls to make.
- MAGRR does not use the first come first serve basis, but we select the best applicant for each dog.
Adopting one of our dogs is quite rewarding and if you are ready to take on the responsibility of owning a Golden Retriever, we certainly encourage you to undergo our adoption process. We ask that you contact us if you have applied and already adopted from another rescue. This will allow us to move another family up on our waiting list.
This process helps to guarantee our dogs’ safety and comfort in their new home. We look forward to working with you and your family in the adoption process and we appreciate your interest in adopting a MAGRR Golden Retriever! MAGRR kids are definitely worth the time and effort.